AHEF and Coon Rapids Rotary Announce the 2019 Middle School Student Writing Contest
My Favorite Fictional Character
Co-sponsored by the Coon Rapids Rotary Club and the Anoka-Hennepin Educational Foundation.
Open to students in grades 6-8 who live or attend school in the Anoka-Hennepin School District.
What fictional character do you most admire? Is it spunky Anne Shirley from the Anne of Green Gables series? Wise Aslan from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe? Optimistic Sara Crewe from A Little Princess? Frodo, the selfless hobbit from The Lord of the Rings? How about Freckles, that young man of such high integrity?
Think of all the fictional books you’ve really treasured, and write down a list of characters that you most related to at different times in your life. We all have a character whom we connect with for one reason or another. And, we usually have a story about why we love him or her so much. The characters we love can reveal the qualities we treasure. By writing, you will find the unexpected wisdom and insight they hold in store.
Think about your favorite character, and about the traits that resonate with you that makes him or her so special. Tell the external and internal story of the what and why you connect so much with this character. Show your emotions by describing your actions. Include your thoughts during your experience with this favorite character. When you are done writing, read your story to someone else. Are they seeing and feeling how special this person is to you? Can they feel your emotions?
1. Entries are limited to 500 words.
2. Entries will be judged by grade level.
3. Entries must be typed.
4. Each entry must have a typed cover sheet. The cover sheet should be clipped or stapled to the top left corner of the entry. The cover sheet must list the student’s name, grade, school, home phone, and teacher’s name. Do not put names on the entry itself. Do not use construction paper, plastic sleeves, or binders.
5. Parents or teachers may help submit entries, but there may be only one entry from each student. Contest entries will not be returned.
6. Entries sent through U.S. Mail must be postmarked by midnight, Friday, April 12, 2019. Entries may be sent via Anoka-Hennepin District school mail to Creative Writing Contest, c/o Mississippi Elementary School or through U.S. Mail to: Creative Writing Contest, c/o Mississippi Elementary School, 10620 Direct River Dr. NW | Coon Rapids, MN 55433. Entries must be received by Tuesday, April 16, 2019. Results will be announced in May 2019.
7. Entries not meeting these requirements will be disqualified.
8. Prizes in each of the three grade levels: First prize - $30, Second prize -$25, Third prize - $20, Fourth prize $15 (First and second place winners along with their families will be invited to a special luncheon).
9. Judges will look for: Imaginative title; An organized beginning, middle, and ending; Interesting details that help tell the story; Colorful word pictures; Correct spelling and punctuation; Originality; Insight; Stories that sound as though they could really happen, even if they are fiction.
Questions can be directed to Shawna Feist at email@example.com.